Emergency Travel Assistance Services

International Travel Insurance Programs

The State of Arizona provides several programs of insurance coverage for University-related international travel. Some programs are exclusively for employees traveling or stationed abroad in the course and scope of their job duties. Other programs are available to students and volunteers traveling abroad as part of a University-sponsored program. The information below outlines these coverage programs and provides links to additional information for travelers. The insurance coverage described herein is provided at no cost to University travelers or their departments and is automatically in force for qualified individuals subject to the limitations described below.

Insurance Programs Available to UA Employees

University faculty and staff that are stationed or travel abroad in the course and scope of their employment duties are covered by worker's compensation insurance for injuries received while on the job. Additionally, liability coverage is provided for employees anywhere in the world while acting in the course and scope of employment.

Insurance Programs Available to UA Students and Volunteers

UA students and volunteers traveling outside the U.S. on University business are provided limited accident insurance at no cost by State Risk Management. The benefits are limited by the insurance policy, and are excess other valid and collectible insurance that the traveler may already have in place.

similar travel accident insurance policy is also in effect for UA students and volunteers while on domestic travel as part of a University-sponsored program or activity. Details of the domestic travel accident insurance policy can be found online at Student & Volunteer Accident and Medical Insurance (PDF).

Travel Assistance Program for UA Employees, Students, and Volunteers

General travel assistance and security assistance is available to all University employees, students, and volunteers while traveling on University business or as part of a University-sponsored program or activity. These services can assist travelers in difficult or problem circumstances during a trip. Services include assistance with emergency medical issues, lost documents, translation services, embassy information, repatriation, and emergency evacuation.

International Claim Reporting

In the event of an injury while traveling abroad on University business, contact Risk Management & Safety at your earliest convenience to report the injury. The international insurance company for the State of Arizona and the UA is ACE. Our goal is for the process of filing and handling your claim to be the same as for an injury that occurs on campus. By contacting Risk Management & Safety as soon as possible, we will start the process to get your claim filed with State Risk Management and ACE on your behalf.

UA Vehicle Travel Into Mexico

University vehicles traveling into Mexico are covered by a Mexican automobile Insurance program through Arizona Risk Management. Travelers MUST obtain a Mexican insurance packet from Risk Management & Safety specific for each vehicle prior to the trip.

New Interim Policy Affecting Travel to Countries with U.S. State Department Warnings

The University of Arizona's commitment to expanding our global presence continues to create opportunities for teaching, research and service across the globe, sometimes into areas where hazardous conditions for travel may be present. To balance the value of University activity abroad against such risks, a new interim policy has been developed and adopted by the President's Cabinet.

The Interim Policy Concerning Study, Travel, and Research in Countries Under U.S. State Department Travel Warnings

The intent of the policy is to ensure that UA sponsored or authorized travel to countries under U.S. State Department warning status is carefully evaluated in advance, and subject to review and approval as outlined in the policy. The document is divided into sections addressing student travel as part of University programs, and faculty/staff travel in the course and scope of University employment.

The U.S. State Department provides extensive travel safety information on its website at: travel.state.gov. Specifically, UA travelers should review the lists for travel warnings and travel alerts to see if they include areas of planned travel.

Travel to Sanctioned Countries

For any person traveling to a country with a trade sanction, there is no coverage (nor any service from Executive Assistance) if the person conducts an illegal or sanctioned activity.

A list of sanctioned countries and summaries concerning travel can be viewed on the Office of Foreign Assets Control website. The OFAC website includes the following introduction:

The Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") of the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorism sponsoring organizations and international narcotics traffickers based on U.S. foreign policy and national security goals. OFAC acts under Presidential wartime and national emergency powers, as well as authority granted by specific legislation, to impose controls on transactions and freeze foreign assets under U.S. jurisdiction. Many of the sanctions are based on United Nations and other international mandates, are multilateral in scope, and involve close cooperation with allied governments.

Travel to War Zones

If a person plans travel to a trade-sanctioned country, there is a high likelihood that country may also have other high travel risks, political or social unrest, or war. Such countries are subject to change; a current list is maintained by the UA Risk Management office.

Any individual wishing to travel to a war zone on University business must contact Risk Management & Safety to determine the current insurance coverage status for the country or countries to be visited. Justification and approval for the travel must be obtained from the individual's dean or vice president after review of the travel risk and insurance issues involved.

Current policy exclusions include:

  1. Any loss as a result of conducting a trade-sanctioned activity;
  2. A loss as a result of war in any country with a trade sanction, and/or: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Libya, Macedonia, North Korea, Northern Ireland, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Uganda, Uzbekistan, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Zaire.

More about university travel to sanctioned countries and war zones

Travel Warning Information

The most current information on travel risks around the world is available on the U.S. State Department website.