The University of Arizona Critical Incident Response Team – composed of various campus officials – focuses primarily on the management of situations involving critical incidents on campus. Its involvement is central to the successful implementation of the Campus Emergency Response Plan.
In an emergency, the UA's highest priority in ensuring the health, safety and well-being of people on and off campus. After the University acts to protect the safety of individuals, University facilities, buildings and property are the next highest priority, followed by private property that may be affected by the situation. In the acute stage of an emergency, the University’s lowest priority is the return to normal operations. However, after the situation has stabilized and the University has secured the safety of people and property, the University’s primary goal will be to return to normal operations.
In an emergency, CIRT will:
- Monitor an emergency situation and directs University responses to resolve and respond to the emergency quickly and with as little adverse impact as possible at the direction of the Incident Commander.
- Assists the Incident Commander by providing support and resources via the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Gather, confirm and evaluate incident information.
- Define and implement tactics/actions to resolve priority situations.
- Identify resource needs and shortfalls.
- Reassign/deploy individuals in support of critical needs.
- Issue public information reports and instructions; serve as liaison to other emergency service providers.
- Balance various needs and requests.
- Provide technical, legal, and fiscal expertise as necessary.
When needed, CIRT will coordinate University efforts with the Pima County Office of Emergency Management. CIRT will continue to monitor and coordinate events until the emergency situation is stabilized sufficiently to allow a return to regular organizational operation. At an appropriate time, CIRT debriefs with each of the units involved in an emergency in an ongoing effort to improve the University response to crisis situations.
View frequently asked questions
What is CIRT?
This video tells you about the Critical Incident Response Team at the University of Arizona. Watch the video with highlighted quotes and additional commentary.
Watch the video
Watch Other Interactive Videos