An imminent threat of violence may be cause for a lockdown of all or part of campus. Some exterior doors will lock automatically. Emergency responders will lock others manually. The goal is to limit exposure to danger by preventing dangerous persons from entering campus buildings. If a lockdown is ordered:
- Stay Inside! Do not leave the building unless an imminently dangerous situation arises inside. If outside, seek shelter in the nearest building.
- Choose a room with a sturdy door and a strong lock.
- Close windows, shades, and blinds.
- Be out of the view of the hazard. Stay away from glass windows or doors.
- Be cognizant of which way the door opens.
- In addition to locking the door, fortify doors with heavy items such as furniture.
- Stay low and hide behind large items that may provide full or partial cover.
- Report any emergency or unusual condition by calling or texting 9-1-1.
- Monitor UAlert, email, and the Incident webpage for updates and further instructions.
- Avoid detection:
- Turn cell phones on silent (not vibrate, as a vibrating phone is still audible).
- Turn off room lights.
- Once in a secure location, do not leave until receiving the “all clear” from law enforcement or UAlert.
| Subject matter experts: UAPD/Office of Emergency Management – Updated: April 2023