Hazardous Materials

A minor chemical spill is one that the laboratory staff is capable of handling safely without the assistance of safety and emergency personnel. All other chemical spills are considered major.

Procedures to Follow

Major Chemical Spill

  1. If the spill is life or health-threatening or you are unsure, evacuate the area immediately. If necessary, pull the nearest fire alarm and evacuate the building.
  2. Call 9-1-1 (University Police) immediately.
  3. After the emergency, all chemical spills, no matter how small, should be reported to Risk Management          (520-621-1790) to ensure proper clean up.

Minor Chemical Spill

  1. If the spill is not health-threatening, and you have received training, use proper clean-up equipment to clean-up the spill. Dispose of waste materials properly.
  2. Call Risk Management (520-621-1790) if you have not received training and/or to ensure proper clean up.

Chemical Fire

  1. Try to remain calm.
  2. Activate alarm/pull station.
  3. Immediately call 9-1-1 (University Police).
  4. If the fire is small and you have received training, attempt to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher or other available means. Do not jeopardize your personal safety.
  5. Never allow fire to come between you and an exit.
  6. Evacuate your area. Close doors.
  7. Do not return to the emergency area until instructed to do so by Police or Fire Department officials.

Unusual Odor

  1. Immediately call Risk Management (520-621-1790).


| Subject matter expert: Risk Management – Updated: April 2023